A revolutionary tale of vengeance and forgiveness, this brand-new take on one of Mozart’s final operas displays some of his most memorable and marvelous arias performed by CCM’s stars of tomorrow.
CCM’s Mainstage Series production of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s La Clemenza di Tito (The Clemency of Titus) opens on Friday, April 12 and continues through Sunday, April 14, 2019, at CCM’s Corbett Auditorium. Jiannan Cheng conducts the production, with stage direction by Robin Guarino, the J. Ralph Corbett Distinguished Chair in Opera.
CCM’s production of the opera is set during the Cuban Revolution in 1959. The story focuses on Emperor Tito who must choose a wife, but is unable to find a suitable match. In his search for an empress, Tito narrowly avoids an assassination plot instigated by his protégé Sesto and the former emperor’s daughter, Vitellia, who wants the throne for herself. Caught between his duty and his heart, Tito must choose whether to rule with mercy or with an iron fist.
An esteemed director, Guarino’s work has been seen on stages across the country including the Metropolitan Opera, San Francisco Opera, the Glimmerglass Festival and Cincinnati Opera, among others. She recently directed The Coronation of Poppea at the Florentine Opera Company in Milwaukee. A Milwaukee arts critic praised her staging of the opera, writing that “her choices are not just intelligent, but entertaining.”
Experience CCM’s brand-new take on Mozart’s La Clemenza di Tito from Friday, April 12 through Sunday, April 14, 2019. Tickets on sale now through the CCM Box Office.
CCM’s production of La Clemenza di Tito will last 2 hours and 20 minutes, including a 15-minute intermission.
LA CLEMENZA DI TITO
Music by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Edited for the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe by Franz Giegling
Used by arrangement with European American Music Distributors Company, US and Canadian agent for Baerenreiter-Verlag, publisher and copyright owner
- Jiannan Cheng, conductor
- Robin Guarino, director
- Josh Cook*, assistant director
- Rachel C. Boylan*, costume designer
- Oran Wongpandid*, hair and make-up designer
- Kathleen Kelly, musical preparation
- Evan P. Carlson*, lighting designer
- Sidney Martin*, props master
- Mark Halpin, scenic designer
- Hankyu Lee*, sound designer
- Margo Leist*, production stage manager
- Kathleen Kelly and Marco Nistico, language coaches
- Ahyoung Jung*, Yang Lin* and Bin Yu*, rehearsal pianists
* CCM Student
- Salvatore Atti+, Carlos Cardenas^ as Tito Vespasian, Roman Emperor
- Teresa Perrotta^, Jordan Stadvec+ as Vitellia, daughter of Emperor Vitellio
- Brenda Iglesias^, Karis Tucker+ as Sesto, young patrician in love with Servilia
- Grace Kiver^, Michelle La Jeunesse+ as Annio, young patrician in love with Servilia
- Victoria Okafor+, Yewon Yoon^ as Servilia, sister of Sesto in love with Annio
- Antonio Cruz^, John Siarris+ as Publio, commander of the Praetorian Guard
- Chorus: Elana Bell, Justin Burgess, Victor Cardamone, Victoria Ellington, Anyeé Farrar, Christina Hazen, Ella Joyner Horn, Georgia Jacobson, Nicholas Kelliher, Jordan Krack, Brittany Logan, Jordan Loyd, Raven McMillon, Tayte Mitchell, Miguel Pedroza Gonzalez, Deborah Rivera, Turner Staton, Lindsay Webber, Ryan Wolfe
^ Friday, April 12 and Sunday, April 14
+ Saturday, April 13
- 8 p.m. Friday, April 12
- 8 p.m. Saturday, April 13
- 2 p.m. Sunday, April 14
Corbett Auditorium, CCM Village
University of Cincinnati
Ticket prices start at $32. Discounts are available for UC and non-UC students. Service changes may apply for online orders.
Student rush tickets will be available one hour before each performance to non-UC students, based on availability. UC students can receive one free student rush ticket with a valid Bearcat ID, based on availability.
Tickets can be purchased in person at the CCM Box Office, over the telephone at 513-556-4183 or online through CCM’s e-Box Office.
Parking and Directions
Parking is available in the CCM Garage (located at the base of Corry Boulevard off Jefferson Avenue) and additional garages throughout the UC campus. Please visit uc.edu/parking for more information on parking rates.
For detailed maps and directions, please visit uc.edu/visitors. Additional parking is available off-campus at the U Square complex on Calhoun Street and other neighboring lots.
For directions to CCM Village, visit ccm.uc.edu/about/directions.
Mainstage Production Sponsor: Macy’s
Opera Department Sponsor: Mr. & Mrs. Edward S. Rosenthal
Opera Production Sponsor: Genevieve Smith