We are thrilled to report that current and former CCM students took all three top prizes at the inaugural Artist Competition held by the Raleigh Area Flute Association (RAFA)! The competition took place on Nov. 14, 2015, during the organization’s annual Flute Fair in Raleigh, North Carolina.
All three winners are current or former students of famed performer and CCM faculty member Randolph Bowman:
- First Place: Matthew Ross. Ross is a current master of music student at CCM. For winning the competition, he received a $1,000 cash prize and will be invited to perform a full recital during RAFA’s 2016–17 season.
- Second Place: Lindsay Leach-Sparks. Sparks, who currently resides in Chapel Hill, N.C., is a 2012 graduate of CCM, earning her Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA) degree. She was awarded a $500 prize for finishing second.
- Third Place: Jennifer Gosack. Gosack is currently pursuing her DMA at CCM; she also previously earned a 2011 Artist Diploma (AD) and 2010 MM from the college. For her third-place finish, she won a $250 cash prize.
About the RAFA
RAFA, formerly the Raleigh Area Flute Association, is a nonprofit corporation founded in 1985. In addition to our extensive family of teachers and students, we have several flute choirs that perform throughout the Raleigh and Greater Triangle Areas. Our parent organization, the Raleigh Flute Choir, is home to some of the best flutists in Raleigh and beyond, but RAFA with its membership roster of over 300 flutists encourages everyone to strive for their best flute playing.
RAFA presents workshops, masterclasses, and competitions all year, but our favorite event is our annual Flute Fair, held in mid-fall, where all our members gather together for presentations, guest artists, recitals, and flute-related vendors all in one! We support activities through membership dues and contributions from both individuals and businesses throughout the area as well as nationwide.
The mission of the Raleigh Area Flute Association is to:
- promote flute playing in the Raleigh area,
- promote the enjoyment and appreciation of the flute,
- assist members in achieving musical excellence, and
- provide scholarships for worthy students.
Join us in congratulating these current and former students on their achievements!