Cincinnati audiences will get a sneak peak of an original showcase created by the CCM Musical Theatre 2012 graduating class during the annual Musical Theatre Showcase, which runs from March 29 (Friends of CCM benefit performance) – March 31 in the Patricia Corbett Theater.
The March 29 Friends of CCM benefit starts at 7 p.m. and features a post-performance celebration and dinner by the bite. The March 30 and 31 performances take place at 8 p.m. and are free, but reservations are required.
Each year, CCM’s musical theatre seniors travel to New York to present a showcase for the leading agents, casting directors and managers in the business. The show takes the format of a Broadway audition, with the actors showcasing their solo and ensemble skills through song and dance numbers. The work is created by the students themselves under the supervision of department chair Aubrey Berg. The class selects a theme for the showcase, then blends musical numbers, narration and monologues into a cohesive whole. They create the musical arrangements, supply the choreography and staging, direct the scenes and are responsible for every aspect of the production.
This year’s performance is the 20th edition of the CCM “Not Famous Yet” showcase. The annual showcase began with the establishment of the Patricia A. Corbett Distinguished Chair of Musical Theatre in 1991. At the time of its inception, it was the only academic chair of its kind in the United States.
You can learn more about CCM Musical Theatre’s 2012 Showcase here.
Thursday, March 29, 7 p.m. – Friends of CCM Benefit
The opening performance of the Musical Theatre Showcase on Thursday, March 29, is part of a benefit for the Friends of CCM. The event begins a 7 p.m. and includes dinner by the bite served in the CCM Atrium after the performance.
This event also includes the presentation of the Musical Theatre Young Alumni Award, which recognizes outstanding professional achievement by a graduate of CCM’s musical theatre program from the past two decades. This year’s recipient is Sara Gettelfinger, an actress, singer, dancer and 1999 graduate of CCM. Gettelfinger performed in regional theatre across the country before landing her first Broadway role as “Bird Girl” in the musical Seussical. Her first starring role on Broadway was as “Carla” in the musical Nine with Antonio Banderas. Gettelfinger originated the role of “Jolene Oakes” in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, with John Lithgow, Sherie Rene Scott, Gregory Jbara and Joanna Gleason. Gettelfinger can currently be seen in the role of “Morticia Addams” in the national tour of The Addams Family (running March 27 – April 8 at the Aronoff Center for the Arts in Cincinnati).
Tickets for the March 29 benefit are:
- Host/Hostess (Patron) Tickets: $100 each; includes a patron reception before the performance honoring Sara Gettelfinger, general performance seating, dinner by the bite and garage parking.
- General Public Tickets: $75 each; includes general performance seating, dinner by the bite and garage parking.
- Friends of CCM Member Tickets: $50 each, includes general performance seating, dinner by the bite and garage parking.
- Young Professional (40 and under) Tickets: $35 each, includes general performance seating, dinner by the bite and garage parking.
Proceeds benefit student career development grants and scholarships. Seating is limited. To reserve a ticket, call CCM External Relations at 513-556-2100 or visit ccm.uc.edu/giveto/friends.
Friday, March 30 and Saturday, March 31, 8 p.m. – FREE
Admission to the Musical Theatre Showcase on Friday, March 30, and Saturday, March 31, is FREE, although seating is limited and reservations are required. Tickets become available on Monday, March 26, at noon; please visit the CCM Box Office or call 513-556-4183 to make a reservation. Limit two tickets per order.
- Thursday, March 29, 7 p.m.: Friends of CCM Benefit, including dinner by the bite and presentation of the Young Alumni Award to Sara Gettelfinger
- Friday, March 30, 8 p.m.
- Saturday, March 31, 8 p.m.
Patricia Corbett Theater, College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati
- Thursday, March 29: $100 host/hostess tickets (includes pre-show patron reception), $75 general public tickets, $50 Friends of CCM member tickets and $35 young professional tickets (40 and under). Seating is limited. Call CCM External Relations at 513-556-2100. Learn more at ccm.uc.edu/giveto/friends.
- Friday, March 30, and Saturday, March 31: FREE, although reservations are required. Tickets become available on Monday, March 26, at noon—please visit the CCM Box Office or call 513-556-4183 to make a reservation. Limit two tickets per order.
CCM Garage parking is included in the ticket price for the March 29 Friends of CCM Benefit performance.
For the March 30 and 31 performances, paid parking is available in the CCM Garage (at the base of Corry Boulevard off Jefferson Avenue) and additional garages throughout the University of Cincinnati campus. For additional parking information or directions, please visit ccm.uc.edu.
CCM Season Presenting Sponsor & Musical Theatre Program Sponsor: The Otto M. Budig Family Foundation