CCM’s production of Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine’s Into the Woods has earned nine awards from the League of Cincinnati Theatres (LCT)! The fairytale adventure turns traditional stories of Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk and others upside down, examining the “after” in these happily-ever-after tales.
LCT panelists praised nearly every aspect of the production, which was described as “fitting CCM like the golden slipper on Cinderella’s foot.” Awards were given in the following categories:
- Outstanding Production. The show was described by several panelists as being among the best staged at CCM in years.
- Aubrey Berg for direction of a musical. His “staging was inventive and fully utilized the space,” said one LCT panelist. “Berg pulled out all the stops … [He] drew marvelous performances from everyone.”
- CCM instructor Stephen Goers for his musical direction that “mined so many layers in a great Sondheim score.”
- Dean Mogle, professor and head of CCM’s Costume Design and Technology program, for the show’s costumes, in which, according to one LCT panelist, “every detail was perfect, textured and sumptuous for the eyes.”
- Kelly Yurko, associate professor, and Kaitlyn Adams, a senior student from Cincinnati, for specialized design of the show’s wigs and make-up.
- Hunter Spoede, currently completing a Master of Fine Arts degree in theatre design and production, for the show’s sound design.
- Tim Schmall, also completing a Master of Fine Arts degree in theatre design and production, for the “warm storybook quality” of the show’s lighting.
- Chris Blem, a senior from Tampa, Fla., as leading actor in a musical for his portrayal of the Baker.
- Outstanding Ensemble, described by one panelist as “one of the most balanced casts in terms of talent, consistency and vocal technique that I have seen at CCM.” In addition to Blem, the large cast also includes: Matthew Amira, Dane C. Becker, Victoria Cook, Connor Deane, Joey Dippel, Catherine Helm, Aubrey Ireland, Katie Johannigman, Greg Kamp, Blaine Krauss, Cassie Levine, Graydon Long, Kate McMillan, Kaela O’Connor, John Riddle, Lauren Roesner, Michelle Rombola, Madeleine L. Spacapan, Lee Slobotkin, Christine Smith, Josh S. Smith, Katie Wesler and Lawson Young.
Congratulations to the entire creative team! Into the Woods continues through this Sunday, March 4. Learn more at ccm.uc.edu.
The League of Cincinnati Theatres was founded in 1999 to strengthen, nurture and promote Cincinnati’s theatre community. LCT provides its member companies and individual members with education, resources and services to enhance the quality and exposure of the theatre community in Cincinnati and increase community awareness, attendance and involvement. More information about the League can be found at www.leagueofcincytheatres.info.
Reblogged this on thoroughlymodernemily and commented:
i love into the woodzzz <33333